5 Ways to Jump Start Your Skin Care Routine
- Posted on: Jan 22 2019
Your skin is the first thing people notice and the largest organ of the body, but for some reason it is often the most neglected part of our routine. Here are 5 ways to improve the appearance and health of your skin that won’t be any skin off your back.
1. Watch what you put on your face: It is important to have good quality skin care products, but that doesn’t necessarily mean spending a lot of money. You want to look for products that have good clinical testing or science to back up product’s claims. Ask your dermatologist, a skin expert, on what is the right skin care regimen for you. In general, products sold in physician office or in specialty clinics may contain higher concentrations of the active ingredients. Also, don’t forget that makeup EXPIRES! This is huge. Remember that your makeup has a shelf-life. If it’s over a year old, throw it away.
2. Invest in a good cleanser: Just as it is important to watch what you put on your skin, it is just as vital to be able to truly clean your face. It is important to determine your skin type: Oily, Normal, Dry, Acne Prone, Sensitive, etc., in order to decide what cleanser is right for you. You want to make sure that you are not over scrubbing or irritating your skin with your cleansing regimen.
3. Invest in a good moisturizer: Just as you need the right polish for your car, you need the right moisturizer for your skin type. Moisturizers are important to maintain the keep the top layer of the skin intact and to maintain the integrity of the skin barrier function. When this barrier gets compromised, it can manifest as dry, red, scaly or itchy skin. It’s a great idea to apply a moisturizer at night before bed after any prescription or act. In the morning, remember to use one with at least SPF 30 after you wash your face.
4. Wear sunscreen: This is the most important thing you can do for your skin. Think of it like brushing your teeth. The studies show that daily, incidental sun exposure adds up to the equivalent of about a one week vacation at the beach. One in five people will get skin cancer in their lives and the single biggest preventative step is applying a daily moisturizer with SPF 30 and for outdoor sports/activity, a higher SPF sunscreen (45 or greater) and reapply every 2-3 hours.
5. Love Your Dermatologist: Do yourself a favor and keep up with your dermatology checkups. Everyone needs an annual skin exam to check for any irregular moles, bumps, or skin cancer. An easy way to remember this is to “get your birthday suit checked out on your birthday“. If you have questions about skin care, one of our licensed and highly trained aestheticians can recommend products and a regimen to help restore the health of your skin and keep you looking your best.
Posted in: Uncategorized